Royal Challengers Bangalore could be renamed as Royal Challengers Bengaluru ahead of the upcoming IPL season. While there was no official statement from RCB, the club's recent social media activity has given rise to strong speculation that a rebranding exercise, which includes a change of name, is in the offing.
On Wednesday, RCB took down its profile picture (the club badge) from social media platforms, a day after the club had signed a deal with a new shirt sponsor in Muthoot Fincorp Ltd. There has been a demand from a section of supporters to change the Bangalore in the team's name to Bengaluru. A year ago, a petition was launched on the change.org website for the same cause.
Kohli, who is currently leading the national side in New Zealand, on Thursday said he was surprised that posts from the social media accounts of RCB disappeared and him, being the captain of the side, was not even informed.
“Posts disappear and the captain isn’t informed. @rcbtweets let me know if you need any help,” Kohli tweeted.
"Folks at @rcbtweets, what's happened to our social media accounts? Hope it's just a strategy break," tweeted A.B. de Villiers, while there was a similar post from Yuzvendra Chahal.
RCB’s actions come a day after the Bengaluru—based franchise signed Muthoot Fincorp as their title sponsor for IPL 2020. RCB on Tuesday announced a three—year partnership with Muthoot Fincorp Ltd, a part of the Muthoot Pappachan Group, popularly known as Muthoot Blue, a diversified conglomerate in the financial services industry.
The partnership of title sponsor for the marquee T20 team includes the heavily valued “jersey front” logo placement, which will be prominent on the playing and training jersey, in stadium integration at home matches, digital and other high visible media platforms, a statement had said.
- Ranji Trophy LIVE score, Day 5 Quarterfinal updates: Kotian, Deshpande score centuries vs Baroda; Vidarbha needs 3 wickets to win vs Karnataka
- Kotian, Deshpande break record for highest 10th wicket partnership in Ranji Trophy history
- Ramsay leaves Man Utd to become head coach of MLS side Minnesota United
- New Zealand’s Wagner retires from international cricket
- PKL 10 Playoffs: Players to watch out for in Jaipur Pink Panthers vs Haryana Steelers semifinal 2