Australia has added fast bowlers Jhye Richardson and Kane Richardson to its one-day squad in Sri Lanka as cover for Mitchell Starc who is recovering from a finger injury, the tourists said on Friday.
Starc needed six stitches on his index finger after slicing it on a spike from his bowling shoe during the first Twenty20 match against Sri Lanka. The left-arm paceman has not played since then but Australia is confident he will be fit for the two-Test series against Sri Lanka later this month.
Jhye Richardson, originally selected only for the T20 matches, has been added to the one-day squad while Kane Richardson was brought in for the first two ODIs.
"The Queensland fast bowler (Kane Richardson) has been added as additional bowling cover following the injury to Mitchell Starc," Cricket Australia said in a statement.
Cameron Green, Alex Carey and Marnus Labuschagne will join the ODI squad in Kandy on Saturday, it added.
Host Sri Lanka recalled hard-hitting batsman Bhanuka Rajapaksa in the one-day squad for the five-match series beginning on Tuesday. The 30-year-old announced his shock retirement in January before retracting it a week later and was ignored for Sri Lanka's subsequent tour of India on fitness grounds.
He returned to Sri Lanka's T20 squad against Australia after an impressive Indian Premier League season with Punjab Kings. Uncapped left-arm spinner Dunith Wellalage was also named in the 21-member squad led by Dasun Shanaka.
Australia has taken an unassailable 2-0 lead in the ongoing T20 series with the third and final match scheduled in Kandy on Saturday.
- ITF Kalaburagi Open: Ramkumar Ramanathan to face Pichler in final
- National Boxing Championships 2023: Amit Panghal, Shiva Thapa clinch gold as SSCB defends its title
- EURO 2024 schedule: Full list of matches, groups, kick-off time, venues, dates
- Athletics Federation of India set to become India’s first paperless NSF
- Indian sports news wrap, December 2: Rethin, Aishi win ITF junior titles; Elavenil clinches shooting nationals gold