Fast bowler Lauren Filer will make her England debut in the one-off Ashes test against Australia at Trent Bridge, the country’s cricket board (ECB) said on Wednesday.
Filer got the nod ahead of Issy Wong following an impressive run of form, having taken 13 wickets across the Charlotte Edwards Cup and Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy this season.
The 22-year-old joins Kate Cross and Lauren Bell in the seam attack. Left-armer Sophie Ecclestone is the sole specialist spinner, while all-rounder Natalie Sciver-Brunt provides another pace option.
Batter Danni Wyatt, who has played 245 white-ball matches for England, will also make her test debut on Thursday.
The test is the curtain-raiser of the multi-format series, with three Twenty20s and three one-day internationals to follow, as England bid to regain the Ashes from Australia after going winless in the 2021-22 series.
Full England squad
- MI vs DC Live Score, WPL 2024: Hamstring injury scare for Harmanpreet Kaur
- Dubai Championships 2024: Kalinskaya upsets World No. 1 Swiatek, faces Paolini in final
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Akash reaches for the sky, turns heads on Test debut
- ISL 2023-24: Bipin grabs brace as Mumbai City cruises to win against Chennaiyin
- I-League 2023-24: Delhi beats NEROCA FC 2-1; Aizawl and Rajasthan United share points