Borussia Dortmund striker Sebastien Haller has a testicular tumour and has left his new club’s preseason training camp, the Bundesliga side said.
Dortmund said the 28-year-old Ivory Coast international complained of feeling unwell at training on Monday and the tumour was found during a medical examination.
Tumours can be benign and do not always lead to a diagnosis of cancer.
“This news today came as a shock to Sebastien Haller and everyone else,” sporting director Sebastian Kehl said in a statement.
“The entire (Dortmund) family hopes that Sebastien makes a full recovery as soon as possible and that we can give him a hug again soon. We’ll do everything in our power to ensure that he receives the best possible treatment.”
Dortmund signed Haller this month from Ajax as a replacement for Erling Haaland after the Norwegian left for Manchester City.
Ajax said Dortmund paid 31 million euros ($31.5 million), with another 3.5 million euros ($3.6 million) in potential further payments.
Haller scored 34 goals for Ajax last season, including 11 in eight Champions League games, to reignite his career following an underwhelming two-year stay with West Ham in the English Premier League.
- UP Warriorz vs Delhi Capitals Live Updates, WPL 2024: Kapp removes Vrinda for a duck
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC LIVE score, EBFC 0-0 CFC, ISL 2023-24: Real-time match updates and more
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- Maiden First-Class ton after 110 overs of keeping: Hardik Tamore’s grit takes Mumbai to safety in Ranji quarters
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Pacers Vyshak, Kaverappa bring Karnataka back into contest against Vidarbha on day four