The players and coach on Switzerland’s national football team have declined to take more than 1 million Swiss francs ($1.03 million) of payments that were due from their federation in 2020.
The team was scheduled to play in the now-postponed European Championship in June and had two games in Qatar canceled last month because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The shutdown of games has cost the Swiss soccer body millions of dollars.
Federation chairman Dominique Blanc says it’s a magnificent gesture from the players.
Blanc tested positive for the virus three weeks ago.
Team captain Stephan Lichtsteiner says "we wanted to set an example and show solidarity.”
- IND vs AUS Live Cricket Score, 3rd T20I updates: Toss, Playing XI at 6:30 PM IST; Travis Head likely to play today
- IND vs AUS 3rd T20I Dream11 Prediction: India vs Australia predicted playing XI, line-ups, full squads
- I-League 2023-24: Real Kashmir moves to third on points table with a comfortable 4-0 victory against Inter Kashi
- From the ISL to the Premier League, five talking points from the world of football (Nov 20-26)
- BAN vs NZ, 1st Test: Phillips’ four-wicket haul dents Bangladesh on Day 1