Chelsea has agreed a British record transfer fee of £115 million (Rs 1211 crore, $146 million, 133 million euros) for Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Moises Caicedo, according to media reports on Monday.
The 21-year-old Ecuador international had also been a target for Premier League rivals Liverpool, who on Friday agreed a reported record £110 million fee with Brighton.
But it became clear over the weekend that Caicedo preferred a move to Chelsea and will join the west London club on an eight-year contract, according to the reports.
Chelsea, who drew 1-1 with Liverpool in their Premier League opener on Sunday, hope Caicedo will be available for next weekend’s trip to West Ham United.
He could line up in Mauricio Pochettino’s team alongside Enzo Fernandez, who cost what was then a British record £107 million when he joined from Benfica earlier this year.
Caicedo was left out of Brighton’s squad for their season-opening 4-1 win at home to Luton Town on Saturday.
- Al Shabab vs Al Nassr LIVE updates, SHB 0-0 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Mane goal flagged offside, Ronaldo yet to get involved
- Chelsea vs Liverpool Carabao Cup 2023-24 final LIVE Score: CHE 0 - 0 LIV, EFL League Cup updates, match into extra-time
- Carabao Cup final, LIV vs CHE: How many EFL League Cup finals have been decided on penalties?
- Gujarat Giants vs Mumbai Indians Highlights, WPL 2024: Harmanpreet Kaur seals five-wicket win with a six
- ISL 2023-24: Diamantakos strikes twice as Blasters pull off stunning comeback win