Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk will miss his side’s next Premier League match against Wolverhampton Wanderers after being suspended for an extra game following his reaction to being sent off against Newcastle United last month.
The Dutch defender was also fined 100,000 pounds after admitting he acted in an improper manner, the Football Association said in a statement.
Van Dijk was sent off for fouling Alexander Isak during the first half and appeared to remonstrate with referee John Brooks before walking off the pitch.
“The defender admitted that he acted in an improper manner and used abusive and insulting words towards a match official after being sent off in the 29th minute, and the sanctions were subsequently imposed by an independent regulatory commission,” said an FA statement.
He was automatically suspended for Liverpool’s win against Aston Villa on Sept. 3.
- Australia vs New Zealand LIVE Score, World Cup 2023: NZ 222/4 (31 overs); Zampa breaks Latham-Rachin partnership
- Indian sports news wrap, October 28
- Netherlands vs Bangladesh Live Score, ICC World Cup 2023: NED 161/5 (41); Scott Edwards scores half-century vs BAN
- Lewandowski, Kounde and Raphinha return to Barcelona Clasico squad
- Knicks face Pelicans to complete back-to-back road games