Getafe continued its sensational season by dumping Ajax out of the Europa League on Thursday, the LaLiga high-flyer progressing 3-2 on aggregate despite a 2-1 away defeat.
Jose Bordalas' side won a bad-tempered first leg 2-0 against last season's Champions League semifinalist and it extended its advantage in the fifth minute of the reverse fixture when Jaime Mata struck.
That left Ajax needing four goals to progress but Danilo, making his first start for the club, tapped in Donny van de Beek's low cross five minutes later to equalise on the night.
Carel Eiting whipped a deflected free-kick past David Soria in the 63rd minute to give Ajax some hope, though Getafe progressed despite being denied by the woodwork on three occasions.
Elsewhere in the round of 32, Istanbul Basaksehir produced a stunning comeback to knock out Sporting CP 5-4 on aggregate, Edin Visca scoring the winner in extra time, while Shakhtar Donetsk beat Benfica 5-4 on aggregate after a thrilling 3-3 draw in the second leg in Lisbon.
Sevilla, which won the Europa League three times in a row under Unai Emery between 2014 and 2016, edged through their tie with Cluj on away goals after a 1-1 aggregate draw.
The Romanian champion was denied a famous victory when Alexandru Paun's late strike was ruled out following a VAR check that ruled Lacina Traore handled the ball.
Last year's finalists Arsenal crashed out in extraordinary circumstances with captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's overhead kick having seemingly secured its progress only for Youssef El-Arabi to strike in the last minute of extra time to send Olympiacos through on away goals.
Manchester United, Inter, Roma, Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen were among the major sides to progress, with the draw for the last 16 set to be made in Nyon on Friday.
- IND vs NZ Live Score Updates, World Cup 2023 Semifinal: Toss, lineup updates soon; Rohit & Co look to extend winning run to 10-0
- IND vs NZ Live Toss, World Cup 2023 Semifinal: Will coin flip favour Rohit Sharma or Kane Williamson at Wankhede?
- Watch: World Cup 2023 best of the league stage - Top innings, favourite moment, winner predictions
- Rory McIlroy resigns from PGA Tour’s policy board
- NBA In-Season tournament: Pacers beats 76ers, ends Philly’s 8-game winning streak