Argentina star Lionel Messi revealed he wore a lucky ribbon sent to him by a reporter's mum after leading his team into the last 16 at the World Cup.
Messi opened his account at Russia 2018 with a goal in Argentina's crucial 2-1 win over Nigeria Tuesday. The star forward struggled at the World Cup before that classy strike, which helped Jorge Sampaoli's men clinch second spot in Group D.
Messi, 31, later revealed that he wore a red ribbon, sent to him by a reporter's mum following his team's draw with Iceland, around his left ankle. "Look," he said, showing the ribbon under his sock when asked about it by the stunned reporter.
Argentina, who has struggled so far in Russia, had Marcos Rojo to thank for progression after the defender's 86th-minute winner against Nigeria. Sampaoli's team faces France in the round of 16 in Kazan Saturday.
- India vs Sri Lanka Cricket Final Live Score, Asian Games 2023: Titas Sadhu picks early wickets, Sri Lanka 28/3 after powerplay in 117 chase
- Sri Lanka’s Sachithra Senanayake granted bail over match-fixing allegations
- Asian Games 2023, September 25 LIVE updates: Sri Lanka begins 117-run chase vs India in women’s cricket final; Indian team clinches record-breaking gold in 10m air rifle
- Pochettino says Chelsea must ‘grow up like a team’
- Shooting, Asian Games 2023 HIGHLIGHTS: India wins gold in men’s 10m air rifle team; Aishwary gets bronze - Hangzhou 2022 updates