Gokulam Kerala’s homecoming proved a memorable affair on Monday night. The former champion won a crucial I-League encounter against Shillong Lajong 2-0 at the EMS Stadium.
In what was Gokulam’s first home match in two months, Sourav K. and Matija Babovic were the scorers.
Gokulam is now on 23 points, five behind the leader Mohammedan Sporting. Two other teams – Real Kashmir and Sreenidi Deccan, who have played a game less – are also on 23, with the league moving into its second half.
Though the Gokulam men enjoyed much of the possession in the first half – as much as 77 percent -- they had to wait till the last of the added minutes to score. And they had to thank some inadequate defending from the visiting side for that goal.
The Lajong defence had two chances against a long ball in its box, but it failed on both occasions, as Sourav, in his second attempt, put the ball into the right corner of the net, past the Lajong goalkeeper Neithovilie Chalieu.
In the second half, substitute Babovic slotted home an excellent pass from captain Alex Sanchez from inside the box to seal Gokulam’s victory.
- ISL 2023-24: FC Goa draws with Mumbai City to climb above Kerala Blasters
- MI-W vs UP-W Live Score Updates WPL 2024: Kiran falls after smashing half-century, Alyssa motors on in chase of 162; Live Streaming Info
- Pro Kabaddi League Semifinals, PKL 10 Live Score: Jaipur Pink Panthers trails 20-23 vs Haryana Steelers; Puneri Paltan wins 37-21 vs Patna Pirates
- PKL 10 Semifinal 1: Puneri Paltan beats Patna Pirates to reach second consecutive final
- Sportstar Sports Conclave ‘Focus Punjab’ puts youth development and athlete issues on centre-stage