Matteo Politano and Gianluca Mancini will miss Italy’s crucial Euro 2024 qualifying clash against Ukraine with injury, the country’s football federation said on Sunday.
In a statement, the FIGC said that Napoli forward Politano and Roma defender Mancini had respectively picked up calf and thigh knocks during Italy’s 1-1 draw with North Macedonia.
Coach Luciano Spalletti, who lost attacker Federico Chiesa and midfielder Lorenzo Pellegrini to injury before Saturday’s draw in Skopje, has called up Bologna forward Riccardo Orsolini.
Italy sits third in Group C, three points behind Ukraine -- which is second having played a game more -- with the pair facing off at the San Siro in Milan on Tuesday night.
It is a key crucial fixture for each side’s hopes of claiming one of two automatic spots for next summer’s tournament in Germany, with leader England nine points ahead of the European champion
Spalletti took charge of Italy last month following the shock resignation of Roberto Mancini, who then took over Saudi Arabia’s national team.
- Rashford wants end to ‘malicious rumours’ over Man Utd future
- World Cup 2023 top run-scorers: De Kock continues on top; Kohli second
- Mumbai City FC vs Al Hilal LIVE Score, MCFC 0-2 HIL AFC Champions League updates: Mehtab Singh sent off, Michael and Mitrovic score
- BAN vs SL LIVE score, ICC World Cup 2023 updates: Shakib, Shanto depart in quick succession; BAN 211/4
- Euro 2024 qualifier: Bulgaria vs Hungary to be played behind closed doors