ATK Mohun Bagan began its Indian Super League (ISL 2021-22) campaign in style with a commanding 4-2 victory over Kerala Blasters at the Fatorda Stadium in Goa on Friday.
The Mariners' new signing Hugo Boumous made his debut with a brace while Roy Krishna and Liston Colaco also got on the scoresheet. Sahal Abdul Samad and Jorge Pereyra Diaz scored one apiece in Blasters’ reply.
ATK Mohun Bagan was in attack mode right from the start as Boumous converted his team’s first attack into a goal with a fine angular finish. There was a hint of controversy as Krishna appeared to be interfering with the shot while in an off-side position. The referee, however, looked at it differently and let the goal stand.
Boumous, the Frenchman who tormented ATK Mohun Bagan last season with his creativity while playing for defending champion Mumbai City FC, opened his arsenal to a good effect by switching over to the former in the new edition.
Sahal gave a glimpse of his goal-scoring talent as he fetched the equaliser for Blasters with a nice finish in the 24th minute. The scoreline was altered soon after as Krishna, who was tripped inside the box by the Blasters goalkeeper Albino Gomes, found the net from the resultant penalty in the 27th minute.
ATK Mohun Bagan earned a two-goal cushion in the 39th minute when Boumous breached the Blasters defence once again and slotted it between the keeper's legs to make it 3-1. The change of ends did not alter the balance much and the Mariners stormed to a 4-1 lead in the 50th minute when Colaco put the icing on the cake with a gorgeous goal.
Argentina's Pereyra pegged one back for Kerala Blasters in the 69th minute but it was too little too late as the Mariners held on for a comprehensive victory.
Missed the previous match? We've got you covered with our ISL match reviews. Here's a recap of the ISL 2021-22 season opener where ATK Mohun Bagan beat Kerala Blasters 4-2.
- Full list of highest T20I totals successfully chased against India: Australia sets new record in Guwahati
- IND vs AUS: Deepak Chahar added to India’s squad for T20I series against Australia
- PCB waives off 50 per cent match fee fine imposed on Azam Khan for displaying Palestine flag
- IND vs AUS: Maxwell concedes 30 runs off last over as India scores mammoth 222 against Australia in 3rd T20I
- Ruturaj Gaikwad smashes maiden international century; becomes first Indian to score T20I hundred against Australia