Manchester United has endured a troubled UEFA Champions League campaign so far this season, falling to three defeats in its opening four matches and is currently last in Group A.
The 3-4 away defeat to FC Copenhagen in the last UCL matchday has put United’s qualification hopes on the brink, with the Red Devils having just three points in their tally.
How can United qualify for UCL Round of 16?
With two more games to go, here is how Manchester United can qualify for the UCL Round of 16:
United’s last two group-stage matches are against Galatasaray and Bayern Munich (which has assured itself the top spot), with the first being an away fixture and the second a home one.
Winning both these games will take United to nine points, which will ensure it a finish above Galatasaray.
But there is a scenario where Erik ten Hag’s men will fail to secure a UCL knockout spot, even if it wins both its games.
That will happen if Copenhagen wins both its remaining matches -- against Galatasaray and Bayern Munich -- meaning it will finish at 10 points, one more than the maximum United can acquire.
If United wins one and draws the other, the Premier League side will finish with seven points. In such a scenario, its progression is extremely unlikely and will hinge on other results in the group. If United does secure four points from the next two matches, the ideal result for the side from the other final group stage match -- Galatasaray vs Copenhagen -- will be a draw. (Unless Copenhagen beats Bayern in its penultimate group match).
A defeat against Galatasaray on November 29 will eliminate the Red Devils from the competition.
- MI vs DC Live Score, WPL 2024: Yastika, Harmanpreet consolidate; MI needs 67 off 42
- Dubai Championships 2024: Kalinskaya upsets World No. 1 Swiatek, faces Paolini in final
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Akash reaches for the sky, turns heads on Test debut
- ISL 2023-24: Bipin grabs brace as Mumbai City cruises to win against Chennaiyin
- I-League 2023-24: Delhi beats NEROCA FC 2-1; Aizawl and Rajasthan United share points