England’s Reece James has withdrawn from the squad ahead of their European Championship qualifier against Ukraine due to an injury and will return to Chelsea, the team said on Saturday.
James, who missed the World Cup due to a knee injury, has also struggled with a hamstring injury. He played only five minutes of England’s 2-1 win over Italy after coming on as a late substitute.
“The full-back has returned to Chelsea for assessment on an ongoing issue,” England said.
“No replacements are planned as Gareth Southgate’s squad, including the suspended Luke Shaw, continue their preparations at Tottenham Hotspur Training Ground.”
Southgate had already seen Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford and Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount not report for international duty due to injuries.
England plays Ukraine at Wembley on Sunday.
Latest on Sportstar
- Doping: India is number two in WADA report on anti-doping violations; Russia tops again
- Indian Open of Surfing 2023: Chennai’s Kishore Kumar shines in opening round
- Indian sports news wrap, June 1
- French Open 2023: Ruud beats Zeppieri in four sets, reaches third round
- Adidas unveils team India’s new cricket jersey