Romelu Lukaku described Inter coach Antonio Conte as a team player after rushing to the bench to celebrate a goal with his boss in the Nerazzurri's 4-3 victory at Sassuolo.
Conte called for Lukaku to "train more" after Inter lost two consecutive matches going into the international break, and the former Manchester United striker underlined his commitment to meet his coach's demands after netting a brace at MAPEI Stadium.
After goals at either end in the opening 16 minutes, Lukaku struck twice to put Inter 3-1 up at half-time against Sassuolo and Lautaro Martinez added a fourth to ensure the host's late rally came to nothing.
Belgium international Lukaku, who scored twice in his country's win over San Marino 10 days earlier, told DAZN: "It ought to have been over at 4-1.
"We did everything right in the first half, should have scored more in the second. Once it goes to 3-1 and 4-1, it ought to be over.
"The positive we take is that we got the three points, but we need to defend better than that. I try to help the team throughout the game and am happy for the side, because it was very important to get this win."
Lukaku has scored five goals in eight Serie A appearances for Inter since joining the club for €65million in August.
He is almost half way to matching his league tally of 12 for Manchester United last season but wants to make further improvements to his game at his new club.
"Conte and I are both team players, so when I score a goal, I want to celebrate with everyone," said the 26-year-old.
"I am focused only on working and giving my best in every match.
"I'm fine, but I have to work even more to help the team throughout the game. But today I'm happy because the victory was important for the group. Now I just think about improving again."
- Indian Oil Corporation stuns Railways in a thriller, wins Inter-Department National Championship
- West Indies squad for England ODIs: Holder, Pooran out; Uncapped Rutherford, Forde included
- Tamil Nadu’s Mareeswaran hopes to realise Olympic dreams through Senior Nationals Hockey tournament
- Hardik Singh ‘amazed and honoured’ after FIH Player of the Year Award 2023 nomination
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Maharashtra aims to secure spot in knockouts after last season final loss