Vinicius Junior will miss Brazil’s first two World Cup qualifying matches next month because of a right hamstring injury.
Brazil’s football federation confirmed the absence on Tuesday after media reported that Real Madrid had estimated that the 23-year-old Vinicius, injured in the team’s 1-0 victory at Celta Vigo in the Spanish league, could be sidelined for about a month.
Raphinha was drafted into the Brazil squad for games against Bolivia on September 8 and Peru four days later.
He last played for Brazil’s national team during the World Cup in Qatar. The 26-year-old winger has five goals in 16 appearances for the national team.
The matches will be Fernando Diniz’s first as head coach of Brazil.
- India vs Australia: Suryakumar & Co. begin T20 series days after World Cup final defeat
- Barnsley removed from the FA Cup after fielding an ineligible player
- Palestinian flags displayed by fans of Scottish club Celtic at Champions League game draws UEFA fine
- Kerala Super League ties up with Andres Iniesta scouting with eye on the future
- Disappointed and disheartened that India failed to win World Cup despite playing well: Kapil Dev