Hockey India (HI) on Monday joined 38 other national associations as a member of the World Masters Hockey (WMH).
To carry out the responsibilities and oversee the activities, HI has appointed former India captain R.P. Singh as the convener of Hockey India Masters Committee and Harbinder Singh as the chairman of the committee.
B.P. Govinda, Jagbir Singh, A.B. Subbaiah, Surinder Kaur and M. Renuka Lakshmi have been appointed as members of the committee.
The WMH is the sole Masters entity recognised by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) and responsible for organising international masters hockey globally.
In order to continue the growth of Masters Hockey around the world, WMH will be working towards opening up opportunities for players and officials from various countries to continue to participate in hockey throughout their lives.
HI President Mushtaque Ahmad said, “This is a great initiative that will help provide opportunities for all age groups and both genders to continue their passion for hockey and remain active in the sport.
“Aligned with the projects undertaken by WMH, Hockey India will plan events that will boost the participation of Masters Hockey and we will encourage all our past players to pick up the stick again and perhaps even urge new players to pick up the sport no matter how old they are.”
Latest on Sportstar
- NBA Finals 2023 - Game 1 analysis: Nikola Jokic’s Denver Nuggets turn up the ‘Heat’!
- Spanish Grand Prix, Formula 1 Live updates: Verstappen to start from pole; Streaming details in India
- WTC Final: Rahane stands at crossroads in his comeback Test
- French Open pair Kato, Sutjiadi disqualified after ballgirl hit
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash