National Games champion and National champion N. Ajith claimed the ninth position to finish a slot above Commonwealth Games gold medallist Achinta Sheuli in the men’s 73kg competition at the Asian weightlifting championships in Jinju.
Ajith lifted 139kg in snatch and 168kg in clean and jerk to total 307kg, two kg clear of his compatriot.
Achinta, who had done 313kg in the Commonwealth Games, performed 140kg in snatch and 165kg in clean and jerk. Both Indians competed in Group-B.
Achinta – recovering from a back issue – had aggregated 314kg, which was two kg less than his best effort achieved in December 2021, at the National selection trials in Patiala on March 31. Ajith had lifted 311kg.
The Indian contingent thus returns with three silver medals from the event -- won by Commonwealth Games silver medallist Bindyarani Devi and reigning Youth Olympics champion Jeremy Lalrinninga.
Bindayarani won two silvers medals -- one in the clean and jerk section and the other for her overall effort in the women’s 55kg event on Saturday -- while CWG champion Jeremy, on the other hand, clinched the silver in the men’s 67kg snatch event.
Medals are awarded separately for snatch, clean and jerk, and total lift in continental and World Championships. But, just one medal for total lift is awarded in the Olympics.
(with inputs from PTI)
- Inter Miami vs LA Galaxy LIVE score, MLS updates: Messi starts, lineups OUT! Preview, streaming info; Kick-off at 7am IST
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 4: IND needs 152 more to win; Rohit, Jaiswal at crease
- Al Shabab vs Al Nassr highlights, SHB 2-3 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Talisca brace, Ronaldo strike guide Nassr to win and keep title race alive
- Saudi Pro League: Ronaldo scores milestone goal as Al Nassr edges Al Shabab to keep title race alive
- WPL 2024: Gujarat Giants stumbles to five-wicket loss against Mumbai Indians in low-scoring encounter