Javelin thrower Sandeep Chaudhary clinched India’s first gold medal at the ongoing Asian Para Games, finishing on top in the men’s F42-44/61-64 category on Monday.
Sandeep claimed the top honours with a best throw of 60.01m, which he managed in his third attempt.
The silver medal went to Sri Lanka’s Chaminda Sampath Hetti, who cleared 59.32m in his best effort, while Iran’s Omidi Ali settled for the bronze with 58.97m.
Chaudhary’s disability falls in the F42-44/61-64 category, which relates to limb deficiency, leg length difference, impaired muscle power or impaired range of movement. The athletes in this category compete without prosthesis.
On Sunday, India won two silver and three bronze medals at the Games.
In the 49kg men’s powerlifting event, Farman Basha claimed the silver and Paramjeet Kumar won the bronze.
Swimmer Devanshi Satijawon then picked up a silver in women’s 100 metre butterfly in S-10 category and Suyash Jadhav clinched the bronze in the men’s 200 metre individual medley in SM-7 category.
- Newcastle smashes Sheffield United in 8-0 thrashing
- Tigst Assefa smashes women’s marathon world record in Berlin
- ISL 2023-24: Mumbai City FC beats NorthEast United FC 2-1
- Asian Games 2023: Chhetri and Jhingan turn coaches on field, guiding India into round of 16 in Hangzhou
- Chelsea trying to end goal drought after loss against Aston Villa