Japan’s northern city of Sapporo has abandoned its bid for the 2030 Winter Olympics and will consider hosting the Games in 2034 or later, its mayor said on Wednesday, in the fallout of bribery and bid-rigging scandals linked to the 2020 Tokyo Games.
The mayor, Katsuhiro Akimoto made the announcement at a press conference alongside Yasuhiro Yamashita, the president of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC).
Venues vying to hold the 2030 Games include Salt Lake City in the United States, Sweden, Switzerland and France.
Sapporo and the JOC had suspended active promotion of the city’s bid amid a widening corruption scandal over the Tokyo Games.
- India vs England Live Score, 4th Test Day 2: ENG 353 all out; Jadeja wraps up ENG tail, Root 122 not out
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 2 Updates: Musheer scores 150 vs Baroda; Andhra loses 2 early wickets
- Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United to take part in U.S. summer series
- Liverpool eyes ‘special’ League Cup final triumph against Chelsea
- Valencia match postponed after deadly city fire