Joshna Chinappa edged out longtime India teammate Dipika Pallikal to make the women’s singles main draw of the USD 100,000 PSA China Open here on Wednesday.
A gruelling battle is expected whenever Chinappa and Pallikal face each other and it was no different this time.
Chinappa, who won her 15th women’s singles national title last week, pipped Pallikal 7-11, 11-5, 11-6, 7-11, 11-8 in the final round of the qualifiers. She had also got the better of Pallikal in the Asian Championships final earlier this year.
Chinappa, the highest ranked Indian at 14, had blanked Duan Si Yu of China in her opening qualifying match yesterday.
World No 22 Pallikal had started her campaign on a promising note, beating former World No.2 Jenny Duncalf of England in another tough match lasting five games.
Saurav Ghosal, India’s number one male player, made the men’s singles main draw with a 11-9, 6-11, 11-9, 11-1 win over Omar Abdel Meguid of Egypt.
- BAN vs NZ, 2nd Test: Bangladesh in charge despite bizarre Mushfiqur dismissal on Day 1
- ICC Rankings: Ravi Bishnoi becomes world’s No.1 T20I bowler, surpasses Rashid Khan
- Bangladesh vs New Zealand HIGHLIGHTS, 2nd Test Day 1: Latest scorecard, match streaming info
- Junior Hockey World Cup 2023: India needs to guard against complacency against Spain
- Pakistan captain Shan Masood hits century in Australia warm-up