Davis Cupper Ramkumar Ramanathan defeated second seed Elias Ymer of Sweden 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 to make the main draw of the ATP500 tennis tournament in Tokyo.
In the first round of the main draw, Ramkumar, who has gained 20 ATP points for qualification, will play fellow qualifier Rio Noguchi of Japan.
Also Read | Alcaraz, Nadal top two in latest ATP Rankings
This 27-year-old from Chennai will play in the main draw of a tour-level event for only the third time this year. While he was awarded a main draw wildcard at the home event of Maharashtra Open in February, he recently qualified for the main draw at Atlanta Open.
As per the live ATP singles rankings, he has made a jump of 29 spots to World No. 268 after his wins over Tanuma and Ymer in the qualifying round in Tokyo.
In doubles, Ramkumar has partnered Alexei Popyrin of Australia and will play second-seeded all-Australian duo of Matthew Ebden and Max Purcell, who won this year’s men’s doubles crown at Wimbledon.
Ramkumar, ranked 69th in the world in doubles, tasted success early on in the season winning ATP250 events in Adelaide and Pune with compatriot and World No. 19 Rohan Bopanna. He also managed to qualify for doubles in three of the four Majors in 2022.
- Ticket sales for Euro 2024 in Germany start soon
- Haaland’s 25th goal helps keep Norway in Euro 2024 hunt
- Bellingham revels in free role for England
- Southgate criticises ‘ridiculous’ treatment of England defender Maguire
- 2023 ODI World Cup venues: Ekana Stadium — capacity, pitch info and areas that need attention