Ukrainian qualifier Lesia Tsurenko won seven straight points to finish off fifth-seeded Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-4, 7-6 (2) of Russia in the opening round of the Upper Austria Ladies Linz on Monday.
Tsurenko came back from a break down in the second set and from 2-0 behind in the tiebreaker.
Alexandrova, who reached the final of the Kremlin Cup last month, was a semifinalist at the Austrian indoor event last year and a runner-up in 2018.
Tsurenko next plays Alison Van Uytvanck of Belgium, who routed Austrian wild card Sinja Kraus 6-1, 6-0.
Xinju Wang of China rallied to beat Kateryna Kozlova of Ukraine 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 to set up a match against the top-seeded Emma Raducanu. The U.S. Open champion from Britain had a bye in the opening round.
Also advancing were Alizé Cornet of France, Greet Minnen of Belgium, Jaqueline Cristian of Romania, Rebecca Peterson of Sweden, and Anhelina Kalinina of Ukraine.
- PKL LIVE Score, Jaipur Pink Panthers vs Gujarat Giants: Deshwal’s Panthers takes on Fazel’s Giants; Bengaluru Bulls vs UP Yoddhas at 9; Pro Kabaddi League 2023 updates
- Girona stuns Barca 4-2 away to restore La Liga lead
- Manchester United in UEFA Champions League: UCL Round of 16 qualification scenarios explained ahead of Bayern Munich match
- Indian sports news wrap, December 11
- England announces 16 member squad for India Test series