Top-seeded Barbora Krejcikova beat Magda Linette 6-2, 6-4 on Tuesday in her opening round-robin match at the WTA Elite Trophy, the first postseason event on the women’s tour.
The 10th-ranked Krejcikova, who has won two titles this season at Dubai and San Diego, broke Linette twice as she raced through the opening set. The Czech player then recovered from 3-0 down in the second to close out the match in 1 hour, 48 minutes.
Krejcikova will next face sixth-seeded Daria Kasatkina on Wednesday.
In the opening match of the tournament, Beatriz Haddad Maia upset second-seeded Madison Keys 6-4, 6-4 to take an early lead in the the Camellia group, which also includes 20th-ranked Caroline Garcia.
ALSO READ | Muchova to miss WTA Finals over wrist injury
It was just the second win in four tournaments on the tour’s Asia swing for Haddad Maia.
Keys plays Garcia on Wednesday, in what is now a must-win match for the Amercian to keep her semifinal hopes alive.
Fifth-seeded Veronika Kudermetova plays wild-card entry Zhu Lin of China later Tuesday.
The 12-player tournament features the 11 highest ranked singles players who did not qualify for the WTA Finals in Cancun, Mexico, which will be held in November. Zhu is the final entry.
Players are divided into four groups of three players with the winner of each group advancing to the semifinals on Saturday. The final is scheduled for Sunday.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: IND 303/9, trails by 50 runs; Jurel nears century
- NBA roundup: Celtics tops Knicks for 8th straight win
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: TN 338 all out, leads by 155; Yash Thakur removes Manish Pandey
- WPL 2024: Revamped Gujarat Giants faces uphill task against buoyant Mumbai Indians
- New Zealand to send security delegation to Pakistan ahead of T20 series