Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik and Commonwealth Games gold winner Vinesh Phogat will lead a six-member Indian women wrestling team at the Asian Games to be held in Indonesia later this year.
Sakshi, who won bronze medals in this year’s Gold Coast Commonwealth Games as well as 2016 Rio Olympics, and Vinesh were exempted from the trials by the Wrestling Federation of India because of their current form and past performances.
Sakshi and Vinesh will carry India’s hopes in the 50kg and 62kg freestyle categories. Four other wrestlers-- Pinki (53kg), Pooja Dhanda (57kg), Divya Kakran (68kg) and Kiran (72kg)-- went through the trials to book their tickets for the Asian Games.
The Asian Games will be held in Jakarta and Palembang from August 18 to September 2.
- Saudi Pro League 2023-24: Al Nassr without Ronaldo draws against Al Hazem despite Talisca hattrick
- Al Nassr vs Al Hazem Highlights Saudi Pro League: NAS 4-4 HAZ; Talisca scores hattrick, Ricardo scores stoppage time equalizer
- WPL 2024: Smriti’s heroics in vain as Kapp, Jonassen help Delhi beat Bangalore by 25 runs
- German Open: Jolly-Gayatri advance to quarterfinals
- RCB-W vs DC-W Highlights WPL 2024: Delhi Capitals beats Royal Challengers by 25 runs