Olympic bronze medal-winning Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal is set to win uncontested from the South Asia Zone in the first-ever Athletes Committee poll of the upcoming Asian Games.
For the first time in history, the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) is conducting a poll among athletes to elect 10 members of the Athletes’ Committee.
The London 2012 Olympics bronze medalist’s name was on Saturday chosen as the sole nominee from among 26 nominations to compete for 10 positions.
ALSO READ: Hangzhou Asian Games Village inaugurated
“The athletes will be voting for 10 members of the Athletes’ Committee -- one female and one male from each of the five OCA zones: West Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, South East Asia and East Asia,” the OCA stated.
By virtue of being the sole nominee, the 33-year-old is expected to win uncontested.
The OCA has announced that athletes will be able to vote at one of six voting stations from September 18 to October 6. The voting stations are located in the Athletes’ Village in Hangzhou and at the sub-athletes’ villages in the five co-host cities.
The results will be announced on the eve of the Games’ closing on October 7, and the OCA is determined to attract as many athletes as possible to the voting stations, it stated.
The Athletes’ Dining Hall in the main Asian Games Village is already decorated with colourful voting booths, slogans such as ‘Your Vote, Your Voice’ and the all-important QR code on which the athletes can complete the voting process.
In addition to this, the OCA has produced informative posters with photos of the 26 candidates nominated by the National Olympic Committees for the 10 positions.
These posters will attract more attention to the elections and allow athletes to check who has been nominated from their zone.
An attractive pin badge dedicated to the Athletes’ Committee election will also add to the occasion.
- AFC Champions League 2023-24: Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr secures knockout stage berth with draw against Persepolis
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis Highlights, AFC Champions League 2023-24: NAS 0-0 PER, Ronaldo’s 10 man team moves to round of 16 with a draw
- AFC Champions League points table LIVE: Al-Nassr vs Persepolis, Ronaldo’s side leading in Group E, enters round of 16
- ISL 2023-24: Super sub Victor Rodriguez brings three points home for FC Goa against Jamshedpur FC as it goes on top of the table
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC Highlights, AFC Cup: MBSG 2-5 OFC, Juggernauts beat Mariners to stay second