- August 20, 2023 01:37That’s all folks!
That brings us to the end of the first day of action from the World Athletics Championships. A disappointing day for the Indian fans with Avinash Sable failing to make it to the final in 3000m steeplechase. The three triple jumpers - Abdulla Aboobacker, Eldhose Paul and Praveen Chithravel - also could not make the cut to the final 12.
But there was plenty to enjoy. Ryan Crouser proving why he is the greatest shot putter ever with another gold medal. Some heartbreaking finishes too in track events towards the end.
Stay tuned to Sportstar for all the latest news and updates from the World Championships.
- August 20, 2023 01:264x400 Mixed Relay Final - Result
1. United States - 3:08.80 (WR)
2. Great Britain - 3:11.06
3. Czech Republic - 3:11.98
A heartbreaking finish to the race for Netherlands. Femke Bol had the lead with barely 15 metres to go but the Dutch woman lost her footing. She got back up and finished third but did not have the baton on her hand.
- August 20, 2023 01:16What makes Crouser so good?
As the American bags another World Championships gold, Sportstar takes a look at what makes the Shot Put athlete a champion above all others.
- August 20, 2023 01:10Men’s Shot Put Final - Result
Ryan Crouser delivers a mammoth throw on his final attempt and breaches the 23 metre mark. He falls just five centimetres short of breaking his own world record.
1. Ryan Crouser - 23.51 (CR)
2. Leonardo Fabbri - 22.34
3. Joe Kovacs - 22.12
- August 20, 2023 01:04Women’s 10000m Final - Result
Ethopia sweeps the podium in the Women’s 10000m Final.
1. Gudaf Tsegay - 31:27.18
2. Letesenbet Gidey - 31:28.16
3. Ejgayehu Taye - 31:28.31
Sifan Hassan and Gudaf Tsegay were locked in the battle for the first place till the final moments of the race but the former’s legs gave in and the Dutch athlete went tumbling down onto the track.
- August 20, 2023 01:02Men’s Shot Put - Final after 5 attempts
1. Ryan Crouser - 22.98 (CR)
2. Leonardo Fabbri - 22.34
3. Joe Kovacs - 22.12
- August 20, 2023 00:47Men’s Shot Put - Final
The double Olympic champion and the reigning World Champion Ryan Crouser on course to defend his title. He leads the pack after three throws with a best of 22.98m - a World Championship record.
Italy’s Leonardo Fabbri with an astonishing 22.34m best to stay in the hunt in the second place while Kiwi Tom Walsh in third place with 21.93m.
- August 20, 2023 00:32Men’s Triple Jump
India’s contention in the Men’s Triple Jump comes to an end. Abdulla Aboobacker kept the hopes alive till his final jump. He had to jump over 16.61m to stay in the hunt but could only manage 16.60m. He is 14th as things stand, and only the top 12 athletes make it to the final.
Eldhose Paul had a tough night. The 26-year-old saw all three of his attempts land in the 15m range. His best was 15.59m which came on his first attempt. Praveen Chithravel started strong with a 16.38m jump but failed to better it.
- August 19, 2023 23:41Men’s Triple Jump - Abdulla Aboobacker
Attempt 1 - 16.61m
Attempt 2 - 16.60m
Attempt 3 - 16.60m
- August 19, 2023 23:25Men’s Triple Jump - Praveen Chithravel
Attempt 1 - 16.38m
Attempt 2 - 16.28m
Attempt 3 - 16.32m
- August 19, 2023 23:18Men’s Triple Jump - Eldhose Paul
Attempt 1 - 15.59m
Attempt 2 - 15.33m
Attempt 3 - 15.31m
- August 19, 2023 23:16Men’s 100m - Heats Results
1. Zharnel Hughes - 10.00
2. Ryieme Forde - 10.01
3. Seye Ogunlewe - 10.07
1. Noah Lyles - 9.95
2. Ferdinand Omanyala - 9.97
3. Usheoritse Itsekiri - 10.17
1. Raphael Bouju - 10.09
2. Eugene Amo-Dadzie - 10.10
3. Emmanuel Matadi - 10.13
1. Letsil Tebogo - 10.11
2. Rohan Browning - 10.11
3. Reece Prescod - 10.14
1. Oblique Seville - 9.86
2. Fred Kerley - 9.99
3. Henrik Larsson - 10.17
1. Abdul Hakim Sani Brown - 10.07
2. Rohan Watson - 10.11
3. Marcell Jacobs - 10.15
1. Akane Simbine - 9.97
2. Christian Coleman - 9.98
3. Hiroki Yanagita - 10.20
4. Emanuel Archibald - 10.20
- August 19, 2023 23:14Men’s 100m Heats underway
The Men’s 100m will have seven Heats and the top three from each will make the next round.
- August 19, 2023 23:11Men’s Triple Jump - LIVE
The Indian trio will be in action to make it to the final. The automatic qualifying mark for the event is 17.15m.
- August 19, 2023 23:06Men’s 1500m - Heat 4 Result
1. Abel Kipsang
2. Yarade Nuguse
3. Adam Spencer
4. Charles Grethen
5. Elliot Giles
6. Andrew Coscoran
- August 19, 2023 22:57Men’s 1500m - Heat 3
India’s Ajay Kumar Saroj ends in the 13th place in the third Heat. He made a late dash to catch up to the front pack but it proved a little too much for the World No. 130.
- August 19, 2023 22:56Men’s 1500m - Heat 3 Result
1. Mohamed Katir
2. Niels Laros
3. Cole Hocker
4. Pietro Arese
5. Narve Gilje Nordas
6. Azeddine Habz
- August 19, 2023 22:49Men’s 1500m - Heat 3
India’s Ajay Kumar Saroj will be in action in this Heat.
- August 19, 2023 22:48Men’s 1500m - Heat 2 Result
1. Mario Garcia
2. Tshepo Tshite
3. Neil Gourley
4. Samuel Tanner
5. Ruben Verheyden
6. Timothy Cheruiyot
- August 19, 2023 22:40Men’s 1500m - Heat 1 Result
1. Jakob Ingebrigtsen
2. Josh Kerr
3. Isaac Nader
4. Reynold Cheruiyot
5. Adel Mechaal
6. Charles Philibert-Thiboutot
- August 19, 2023 22:29Jakob Ingebrigtsen - LIVE
The Norway runner, also the Olympic champion, in action in Heat 1 of the Men’s 1500m race.
Again, there will be no non-automatic qualifiers. The first six will advance to the semifinals.
- August 19, 2023 22:22Ajay Kumar Saroj - 10:50 PM IST
The Indian will be in Heat 3 of the Men’s 1500m race.
Of the four heats, the top six from each will advance to the semifinals.
- August 19, 2023 22:11Glimpses from the opening ceremony
- August 19, 2023 21:55Glimpses from the opening ceremony
- August 19, 2023 21:49The winning moment
Here is Alvaro Martin from Spain, the first gold medal winner of the 2023 World Athletics Championships.
- August 19, 2023 21:45The Hungarian president takes the mic
Katalin Novak with a word to the crowd at the National Athletics Centre. The president officially declares the championships open.
- August 19, 2023 21:40The opening ceremony
The IAAF president Sebastian Coe gets the programme underway with a speech.
- August 19, 2023 21:31Sable fails to mask anguish
The Indian steeplechase runner was in the best form of his life and expected to make the final. On Saturday, however, Sable stumbled.
- August 19, 2023 20:39Canada’s National Record broken in Men’s Hammer Throw
- August 19, 2023 20:37Indians in action
There’s plenty of events still left today. For India, Ajay Kumar Saroj will start in the men’s 1500m heats.
This will be followed by the triple jump qualification featuring Eldhose Paul, Abdulla Aboobacker and Praveen Chithravel.
- August 19, 2023 19:53Men’s Hammer Throw - Final startlist
1. Ethan Katzberg - 81.18m - Q
2. Mykhaylo Kokhan - 78.47m - Q
3. Bence Halasz - 78.13m - Q
4. Wojciech Nowicki - 78.04m - Q
5. Pawel Fajdek - 77.98m - Q
6. Rudy Winkler - 77.06m - Q
7. Daniel Haugh - 76.64m - q
8. Michail Anastasakis - 75.76m - q
9. Eivind Henriksen - 75.37m - q
10. Gabriel Kehr - 75.10m - q
11. Diego Del Real - 74.91m - q
12. Adam Keenan - 74.56m - q
- August 19, 2023 19:41Men’s Hammer Throw - Group B Qualification
1. Mykhaylo Kokhan - 78.47m - Q
2. Pawel Fajdek - 77.98m - Q
3. Rudy Winkler - 77.06 - Q
4. Michail Anastasakis - 75.76 - q
5. Eivind Henriksen - 75.37 - q
6. Diego Del Real - 74.91 - q
- August 19, 2023 19:29Sable speaks
The Indian steeplechase runner shares his thoughts on today’s race.
- August 19, 2023 19:14Men’s Hammer Throw - Group B Qualification
The Men’s Hammer Throw qualifications are underway at the moment. Mykhaylo Kokhan, Pawel Fajdek and Rudy Winkler have advanced to the final with throw over the qualifying mark of 77m.
- August 19, 2023 18:43Shaili Singh crashes out
- August 19, 2023 18:33Shaili fails to make the cut
Shaili Singh fails to qualify for the Final of the Women’s Long Jump event. The Indian finished 24th out of 36 athletes who were competing in the event and leapt a distance of 6.40m in her third attempt. Only the top 12 athletes qualify for the final.
- August 19, 2023 18:15Shaili Singh's second attempt
Shaili Singh jumped 6.40m in her second attempt in the qualification round of the Women’s Long Jump.
- August 19, 2023 17:28Long jumper Shaili Singh in action
Shaili Singh jumped 6.26m in her first attempt in the qualification round of the Women’s Long Jump. The top 12 from both groups will qualify for the final or by gaining automatic qualification by achieving the 6.80m mark.
- August 19, 2023 17:02Men’s 20km Race Walk Results
1. Alvaro Martin (ESP) — 1:17:32 (Gold)
2. Perseus Karlstrom (SWE) — 1:17:39 (Silver)
3. Caio Bonfim (BRA) — 1:17:47 (Bronze)
4. Evan Dunfee (CAN) — 1:18:03
5. Christopher Linke (GER) — 1:18:12
6. Veli-Matti Partanen (FIN) — 1:18:22
7. Brian Pintado (ECU) — 1:18:26
8. Declan Tingay (AUS) — 1:18:30
- August 19, 2023 16:39Up Next
India’s Shaili Singh will be in action in the women’s Long Jump qualification.
- August 19, 2023 16:28Race Walker Martin captures first Gold of World Championships
Alvaro Martin of Spain captured gold in the 20km race walk in the opening event of the World Athletics Championships. Martin moved into the lead with about 5km remaining to finish in one hour 17.32 seconds, the fastest time in the world this season, on the soggy 1km loop course that started and finished at picturesque Heroes’ Square. Sweden’s Perseus Karlstrom won silver in 1:17.39, while Caio Bonfim of Brazil claimed the bronze (1:17.47).Inputs - Reuters
- August 19, 2023 16:21Avinash Sable crashes out
India’s Avinash Sable missed out on an opportunity to qualify for the Men’s 3000m Steeplechase final at the World Athletics Championships. Sable finished seventh, out of 12 athletes competing in the event by clocking 8:22:24s in the Heats. Only the top five in the three Heats qualify for the final.
- August 19, 2023 16:17Sable fails to make the cut
Avinash Sable finishes a distance seventh and doesn’t make it to the final of the men’s 3000m Steeplechase final.
- August 19, 2023 16:11Eldhose Paul, ninth at Eugene last year, wants to finish closer to the podium in Budapest
- August 19, 2023 16:10Sable starts in fine fashion
Avinash Sable has begun well and is in the second spot behind Wale and the Commonwealth Games silver medallist is running in tandem with the pack.
- August 19, 2023 16:09Steeplechase Heats begin
- August 19, 2023 16:07Steeplechase: Avinash Sable in action
- August 19, 2023 16:04Shaili Singh wants to improve a centimetre at a time on World Championship debut
- August 19, 2023 16:02Up Next - Sable in Action
India’s Avinash Sable will be in action shortly, competing in the Men’s 3000m Steeplechase Heats.
- August 19, 2023 15:52Indian race walkers disappoint
Indian race walker Vikas Singh finished 28th with a timing of 1:21:58s and Paramjeet Singh Bisht with a timing of 1:24:02s finished the race in the 35th pace. The other Indian Akashdeep Singh finished 47th with a timing of 1:31:12s.
- August 19, 2023 15:49Spain’s Martin wins 20km Race Walk
Alvaro Martin clocked 1:17:32s to win the 20km race walk with Perseus Karlstrom clocking 1:17:39s to be placed second while Caio Bonfim with a timing of 1:17:47s stood third.
- August 19, 2023 15:37Shotput: Automatic qualification
Darlan Romani of Brazil: 22.37
Tom Walsh of New Zealand: 21.73
Joe Kovacs of USA: 21.59
Ryan Crouser of USA: 21.48
Payton Otterdahl of USA: 21.54
Zane Weir of Italy: 21.82
21.40 is the automatic qualification mark.
- August 19, 2023 15:37100m Hurdles Heptathlon
Teliyah Brooks, Anna Hall and Chari Hawkins top the 100 metres hurdles heptathlon and the three athletes from the United States have dominated the field.
- August 19, 2023 15:33Martin leads the pack
Alvaro Martin has the lead and with two laps to go the Spaniard is the favourite to win the race. Martin has won the last two European titles competing in the 20km race.
- August 19, 2023 15:19Other events get underway
The women’s 100m hurdles heats are underway along with the men’s shot put. It will be hard for the athletes to get into the groove straightaway as they have been indoors due to the thunderstorm. Wet conditions and the athletes will be challenged.
- August 19, 2023 15:04Indian race walkers struggle
The Indian trio of Akashdeep Singh, Vikash Singh and Paramjeet Singh are way behind the pack and the race progression has been rather very slow from India’s point of view. Ikeda continues to lead as Marius Ziukas of Lithuania copes with a two-minute penalty..
- August 19, 2023 14:56Ikeda leads
Koki Ikeda is leading the pack and is miles ahead of his competitors as he’s on world record pace after 5kms.
- August 19, 2023 14:26Men’s 20KM race walk begins
The World Athletics Championships in Budapest is underway after a delayed start due to thunderstorm. The men’s 20 km race walk is underway with Indian race walkers Akashdeep Singh, Vikash Singh, Paramjeet Singh in action.
- August 19, 2023 13:44Further delay on cards
Further delay is expected in Budapest as our correspondent Jonathan Selvaraj informs due to bad weather. The morning events are pushed an hour further. 11:30 AM for men’s shot put and 12:35 PM for steeplechase.
- August 19, 2023 13:29Start delayed by Thunderstorm
A thunderstorm pushed back the start of the men’s 20-kilometre race walk, the first event of the World Athletics Championships, by two hours. Athletes were minutes from starting when officials announced the delay. The evening session of the opening day includes finals in the men’s shot put, women’s 10,000 metres and the mixed 4x400 relay.
- August 19, 2023 13:19World Athletics Championships 2023: Top three contenders in men’s javelin throw
- August 19, 2023 13:07Chasing 90m — Neeraj Chopra’s pursuit of the ultimate barrier in javelin throw
- August 19, 2023 12:44World Athletics Championships 2023: Full Timetable
- August 19, 2023 12:32Day One Indians in Action - (Timings in IST)
Men’s 20m Race Walk Final - 12:20PM IST - Akashdeep Singh, Vikash Singh, Paramjeet Singh
Men’s 3000m Steeplechase Heat 1 - 3:05PM IST - Avinash Sable (First five qualify to the final)
Women’s Long Jump Qualification Group B - 3:55PM IST - Shaili Singh (Automatic qualification mark - 6.80m or best 12 qualify to the final)
Men’s 1500m Heats 3 - 10:50PM IST - Ajay Kumar Saroj (First six qualify to the semifinal)
Men’s Triple Jump Qualification Group A - 11:07PM IST - Abdulla Aboobacker (Automatic qualification mark - 17.15m or best 12 qualify to the final)
Men’s Triple Jump Qualification Group B - 11:07PM IST - Praveen Chithravel, Eldhouse Paul (Automatic qualification mark - 17.15m or best 12 qualify to the final)
- August 19, 2023 12:28All set in Budapest for World Athletics Championships
- August 19, 2023 12:27A two-hour delay!
- August 19, 2023 12:26A brief on the Indian contingent
- August 19, 2023 12:16Thunderstorm in Budapest
A thunderstorm is expected to hit Budapest in the next 30 minutes, is what our correspondent informs and the Championships will start at 10:50 AM local time instead of 8:50 AM.
- August 19, 2023 12:09Good morning from Budapest! Pings our Correspondent, Jonathan Selvaraj
- August 19, 2023 12:04Live Streaming Info: Where to watch World Athletics Championships 2023 in India?
The World Athletics Championships 2023 will be live streamed in India on Jio Cinema from August 19 to 27.
- August 19, 2023 11:52World Athletics Championships 2023 Day One: Indians in action, timings, streaming info
World Athletics Championships 2023 Day One: Indians in action, timings, streaming info
Commonwealth Games silver medallist Avinash Sable (men’s 3000m steeplechase) and gold medallist Eldhose Paul (men’s triple jump) will be amongst the nine Indians in action on day one of the World Athletics Championships in Budapest, Hungary.
- August 19, 2023 11:42Avinash Sable in action
The morning session also includes Commonwealth Games silver medallist Avinash Sable in the men’s 3000m steeplechase heats and Shaili Singh in the women’s long jump. The duo will participate in the qualification rounds of their respective events.
- August 19, 2023 11:36World Athletics Championships: Indians in action on Day One
Nine Indians will be in action on the opening day of the World Athletics Championships in Budapest, Hungary, on Saturday. The day begins with the men’s 20km race walk final where Akashdeep Singh, Vikash Singh and Paramjeet Singh Bisht will participate.
- Naomi Osaka set to make her tennis return at the Brisbane International
- Billie Jean King Cup: US tops defending champion Switzerland; Canada advances
- How can Afghanistan qualify for the semifinal of ODI World Cup 2023?
- Atletico Madrid extends contract of coach Diego Simeone to 2027
- New Zealand test cricketer Henry Nicholls to face ball tampering charge