LeBron James has worn the No. 23 for the majority of his career, but that won't be the case next season.
The Lakers star is giving Anthony Davis the number to make him feel more welcome and comfortable, Yahoo Sports reported, citing league sources.
Davis, 26, has worn the number during his entire seven-year career, all with the Pelicans.
James, 34, donned 23 while with the Cavaliers and in his first season with the Lakers, but wore No. 6 during his time with the Heat.
There's no indication as to which number James will go with next, but Nos. 8, 13, 22, 24, 25, 32, 33, 34, 42, 44 and 52 have all been retired by the Lakers.
James' gift to Davis comes right after the news that the Lakers traded Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones, along with their 2022 second-round pick, to the Wizards as part of the Davis deal to clear cap space.
On top of that, Davis declined his $4 million trade kicker, leaving $32 million in cap space and giving the Lakers an opportunity to sign another player to a max deal.
The Pelicans traded Davis to the Lakers on June 15 in exchange for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first-round picks, but the deal isn't official until July 6.
- Portugal vs Iceland HIGHLIGHTS, Euro 2024 qualifiers: Bruno Fernandes, Ricardo Horta give POR 2 - 0 win over ICE
- Pat Cummins relishes reaching ‘pinnacle of international cricket’ as Australia crowned ICC World Cup for sixth time
- IND vs AUS: Let the dust settle first for reflection, says Dravid after India loses ICC World Cup 2023 final
- Winning the World Cup is a better feeling than watching it from the couch: Head
- Never expected this, not in a million years: Travis Head talking about his ton in the ICC World Cup 2023 Final against India