Former India captain Kapil Dev called M.S. Dhoni the greatest servant of Indian cricket and backed him to win the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 that starts on May 30 in the UK.
Dhoni has been splendid in IPL 2019 with 314 runs at an average of 104.66. The unbeaten 84 off 48 balls against Royal Challengers Bangalore marked his highest score in T20 cricket.
The seasoned campaigner has struck form in ODI cricket as well. Dhoni has scored 327 runs at an average of 81.75, including three back-to-back half-centuries, in Australia in January.
“No one knows how long he wants to play and how long his body can continue to take the workload. But there is no other cricketer who has served the country so well as Dhoni," Kapil told IANS .
“We should respect him and wish him good luck. I hope that he wins this World Cup too."
Talking about the Team India squad for the World Cup, the hero of 1983 said, “This Indian team looks very good. However, it won't be very easy. They have to play like a team. I hope that they will have no injuries. If they have a stroke of luck, they will definitely win.”
On Dinesh Karthik’s selection over Rishabh Pant, Kapil feels one should respect the selectors’ call. “The selectors have done their job. Let's respect the team. They have picked Karthik over Pant, then it's alright. We should just believe that the selectors have done a good job."
India will start its World Cup on June 5 in Southampton against South Africa.
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan LIVE streaming info: When and where to watch AFC Cup match?
- With Ashwin, lack of game time is not much of concern: Rohit
- AFC Champions League: Mumbai City FC loses 0-2 to Nassaji Mazandaran of Iran
- Davis Cup: Post retirement, Rohan Bopanna ready to sit on captain’s chair
- World Wrestling Championships: Neha Sharma in repechage round, India’s freestyle men falter