No change in Indian team's schedule for Champions Trophy

BCCI acting secretary Amitabh Chaudhary said the Indian team’s schedule “remains unchanged so far” despite the terror attack in Manchester on Monday night.

Amitabh Chaudhary addressing the press   -  VIJAYA BHASKAR

Satisfied by the International Cricket Council's (ICC's) response to its concerns over the Champions Trophy security arrangements in the wake of Monday's terror attack in Manchester, the BCCI has decided to go ahead with Indian team's scheduled departure for England.

“The BCCI sent the ICC a message, raising its concerns about security and accommodation and the ICC responded to it within two hours. They have been sensitised about our concerns,” said Amitabh Choudhary, BCCI's acting secretary, on Tuesday. “Being terrorist attacks, this is something that can affect every individual on the planet. Therefore, the security concerns are that much more intense. The schedule remains unchanged so far.”

To ensure the security arrangements, Neeraj Kumar, the chief of BCCI's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit, has been asked to leave England on Tuesday night.
The Men in Blue are set to board a late night flight to London on Wednesday, for India's title defence of the Champions Trophy. The tournament will be played in London, Birmingham and Cardiff from June 1.


Even the ICC reiterated that it has been reviewing security arrangements after Monday's attack. “We operate on advice from our Tournament Security Directorate - in conjunction with the ECB and relevant authorities - to ensure that we have a robust safety and security plan for both tournaments. We will continue to work with authorities over the coming hours and days and review our security in line with the threat levels,” said an ICC statement.  “The security situation has been very much front and centre of our preparations and we constantly review our procedures to guarantee they are as effective as possible to keep everyone safe”


 

 

 

  Dugout videos