Atletico Madrid said midfielder Hector Herrera has suffered a thigh injury, casting doubt over his participation in their Champions League quarterfinal first leg against Manchester City next week.
Herrera, 31, has made 24 appearances for Atletico this season and started both legs of its Champions League last-16 tie against Manchester United.
"After finishing last Wednesday's training session with discomfort, Hector Herrera has undergone medical tests, which have determined that he is suffering from a thigh injury," Atletico said in a statement on Friday.
"The Mexican international will begin rehabilitation work and daily physiotherapy sessions and the evolution of his injury will determine his incorporation to the group."
Atletico is fourth in the LaLiga standings with 54 points from 29 games. It faces 19th-placed Alaves on Saturday, before taking on City in the Champions League on April 5.
- China Masters 2023 final LIVE Score: Indian duo of Satwik-Chirag faces World no. 1 Liang-Chang
- Man United boss Ten Hag says season schedule tests players’ limits
- Premier League: Pochettino angered by ‘soft’ Chelsea collapse at Newcastle
- Satwik-Chirag, China Masters Final: Preview, head-to-head record, live streaming info
- AC Milan’s Francesco Camarda becomes youngest player in Serie A history at age 15