Esmee Brugts netted two long-range stunners as Netherlands rediscovered its scoring touch in a crushing 7-0 win over Vietnam on Tuesday, reaching the Women’s World Cup knockouts in style and locking up top spot in Group E on goal difference.
The Dutch had only scored once in each of their two previous games but, knowing goal difference could decide the group winner, were 4-0 up inside 25 minutes, with Brugts’ curled effort the pick of the bunch.
Her second goal in the 57th minute was a carbon copy of the first and put Netherlands 6-0 ahead before Jill Roord also bagged her second of the night to wrap up the emphatic win, the biggest of the tournament so far.
Netherlands, which was expected to finish behind the United States in the group, will travel to Sydney for its last 16 tie on Sunday and is likely to face Italy, which sits in second place behind Sweden in Group G.
- Mohammed Shami, the good samaritan - shares video after helping road accident victim in Nainital
- Squash’s Olympic dream: Indian players eye glory in Los Angeles 2028 after Asian Games triumph
- Toto Wolff fed up with explanations for Mercedes’ poor performance
- ISL 2023-24 points table LIVE: Kerala Blasters at the top, Indian Super League standings in Round 6
- ISL 2023-24: Bengaluru FC looks for win on the road against NorthEast United