Peru forward Jefferson Farfan remains in hospital with a concussion and will miss Peru's final Group C game against Australia, coach Ricardo Gareca said on Monday.
Gareca praised the response from his Russian host after Farfan was rushed to hospital on Saturday after being knocked out in a clash of heads during training.
“He was unconscious for a couple of minutes,” Gareca said. “He was assisted and stabilised and he is now in hospital. There are protocols in terms of recovery, so those make it mandatory for him to remain in hospital for 72 hours.
“That was what Russia established. He could be released from hospital but we understand the care of players is a priority for Russia and so thanks to the organisers and all the medical help that was provided.”
The update comes just five days after Morocco included Nordin Amrabat in its second Group B match against Portugal after he was hospitalized for a concussion in its opener against Iran.
The North Africans were criticised for their reaction, especially after Amrabat removed his head protection 16 minutes into the game.
World players' union FIFPro called it “yet another alarming example of a player being put in harm's way”.
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final LIVE Score, IND vs AUS Day 1: Australia 0/0 (2 overs); Warner, Khawaja aim to build start vs India
- WTC Final 2023: Why is India wearing black armbands?
- Man City’s Stones exudes confidence ahead of Champions League final
- IND vs AUS: Why Australian players are wearing black armbands
- SL vs AFG: Sri Lanka thrashes Afghanistan by nine wickets for 2-1 ODI series win