A spectacular goal from substitute Ramhlunchhunga in the final quarter of the action helped former champion Aizawl FC beat newcomer Kenkre FC 1-0, in an eighth round fixture of the I-League at Kalyani Stadium on Monday.
The win helped Aizawl tally nine points from eighth matches and keep its chances of qualifying to the championship leg alive. The top seven teams in the first leg league standings play for the title in the second phase of the tournament.
In another match of the same round, NEROCA FC got the better of the All India Football Federation’s development side Indian Arrows by a solitary goal, at the Naihati Stadium.
Indian Arrows dominated the action for the majority of the contest but was finally done in by an own goal from defender Brijesh Giri towards the end of the match. The win took NEROCA to the third spot of the current standings with 13 points from seven matches.
READ | India vs Belarus: India loses 0-3 to Belarus in second consecutive friendly defeat
Sreenidi Deccan Football Club (SDFC) bettered its position in the current league standings by playing out a 1-1 draw against former champion Churchill Brothers, in a late evening match at Kalyani Stadium on Monday.
The draw, which came after three successive wins, took Sreenidi Deccan’s tally to 14 points from eight matches and helped it climb to the third spot.
Vineeth Kumar Velmurugan struck in the 16th minute to fetch an early lead for SDFC, which retained the advantage till the 62nd minute when the Churchill Brothers forward Komron Tursunov restored parity.
Latest on Sportstar
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m
- Haddad Maia beats Sorribes Tormo in third-longest women’s match at French Open