Djibril Cisse indicted in sex tape blackmail probe

"On February 24, 2017, Djibril Cisse was charged with an indictment in connection with the proceedings pending following the complaint lodged by his friend Mathieu Valbuena," said his lawyer in a statement sent to AFP.

Cisse's legal team has shrugged off the latest development, describing it as "a non-event".   -  Reuters

 

Former French international striker Djibril Cisse revealed on Thursday that he had been placed under formal investigation as part of the ongoing probe into a sex tape blackmail case, his lawyer said.

However, his legal team shrugged off the latest development, describing it as "a non-event".

"On February 24, 2017, Djibril Cisse was charged with an indictment in connection with the proceedings pending following the complaint lodged by his friend Mathieu Valbuena," said his lawyer in a statement sent to AFP.

"This decision is a non-event for Cisse since it is only a consequence of the judgement of the Versailles Court of Appeal of December 16, 2016 and in the absence of Cisse, who was not a party to the proceedings."

In December, a court rejected a request from Real Madrid and France striker Karim Benzema to drop their investigation into the alleged blackmail over a sex tape featuring international team-mate Mathieu Valbuena.

Investigators suspected Benzema of acting as an intermediary between the presumed blackmailers -- including one of his childhood friends -- and Lyon midfielder Valbuena.

Benzema, who has denied all claims of wrongdoing, and three of the other suspects had asked for the case against them to be dropped.

  Dugout videos