Manvir Singh became the first Indian goal-scorer for ATK Mohun Bagan when he found the back of the net against SC East Bengal in the Indian Super League's (ISL 2020-21) first-ever Kolkata derby on Friday.
Manvir scored the second goal to give ATK Mohun a 2-0 lead and ensure his side took home all three points.
Chasing an equaliser, East Bengal had put numbers forward and left the back open. ATKMB's Prabir Das found Manvir with a long ball and the 25-year-old raced forward, got into the box, dribbled past a defender and beat SCEB goalkeeper Debjit Majumder with a powerful strike.
The victory took ATK Mohun Bagan to the top of the 2020-21 ISL standings, while SC East Bengal, which has only played one match, is yet to open its account this season.
Manvir, who began his football career at Minerva Punjab FC, has also plied his trade for Mohammedan Sporting Club and FC Goa.
- South Africa squads for India series: Bavuma rested for ODI, T20Is; Markram to lead
- Junior Hockey World Cup 2023: India aims for a winning start, faces Korea in opener
- Indonesia expresses interest in hosting U-20 World Cup in 2025 with Singapore, says president Joko Widodo
- Hope reveals inspirational chat with Dhoni after guiding West Indies to thrilling win over England
- Hero World Challenge: Woods targets one event per month after competitive return