La Liga club Granada has confirmed suspending Ecuadorian player Jose Angulo after he tested positive for cocaine.
The 21-year-old Angulo signed for Granada this summer from Independiente de Valle and was thought to have tested positive following an appearance in the Copa Libertadores.
Angulo now faces a possible two-year ban and his new club was quick to react with an official statement issued on Thursday, saying they had “received the official notification from CONMEBOL (South American Football Federation) which confirmed that Jose Angulo was tested positive in a dope test.”
"The test was given during the recent Copa Libertadores when Angulo was playing for Independiente del Valle.”
“Granada have told Angulo that the club has suspended his contract until result of the B-sample is carried out in the coming days. Our club hopes the result of that test is favourable for the interests of our player,” Granada’s statement on Thursday said.
In February 2014, former Granada winger, Dani Benitez also tested positive for cocaine and was suspended for two years. He now plays in the third tier of the Spanish league with Racing Ferrol.
- Al Nassr vs Al Hazem Highlights Saudi Pro League: NAS 4-4 HAZ; Talisca scores hattrick, Ricardo scores stoppage time equalizer
- WPL 2024: Smriti’s heroics in vain as Kapp, Jonassen help Delhi beat Bangalore by 25 runs
- German Open: Jolly-Gayatri advance to quarterfinals
- RCB-W vs DC-W Highlights WPL 2024: Delhi Capitals beats Royal Challengers by 25 runs
- Indian sports wrap, February 29