Teams involved in this week's League Cup semi-finals and April's final will be allowed to make five substitutions instead of three, the English Football League (EFL) said on Monday as they look to ease the burden of fixture congestion.
The Premier League voted against allowing teams to make five substitutions per match this season but the EFL said it had consulted with the four remaining clubs in the League Cup. The clubs can also name nine substitutes on the bench.
Tottenham Hotspur hosts second-tier Brentford on Tuesday, while Manchester United takes on Manchester City on Wednesday.
The League Cup final, which is usually held in February, was postponed to April 25 in the hope that fans, currently not allowed due to COVID-19 restrictions, will be able to attend.
- Al Shabab vs Al Nassr LIVE updates, SHB 0-1 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Ronaldo scores from the spot for Al Nassr lead, bags 750th club goal
- Chelsea vs Liverpool Carabao Cup 2023-24 final LIVE Score: CHE 0 - 0 LIV, EFL League Cup extra-time updates
- Carabao Cup final, LIV vs CHE: How many EFL League Cup finals have been decided on penalties?
- Gujarat Giants vs Mumbai Indians Highlights, WPL 2024: Harmanpreet Kaur seals five-wicket win with a six
- ISL 2023-24: Diamantakos strikes twice as Blasters pull off stunning comeback win