PSG forward Neymar on Sunday was forced off the pitch on a stretcher after twisting his right ankle in a league match against Lille.
Neymar picked up the injury at the start of the second half after the Brazil forward scored PSG’s second goal before the interval.
PSG led 2-1 when Neymar was stretchered off following contact with Lille’s Benjamin Andre.
PSG has been struggling since the start of the year, with stars Neymar and Lionel Messi underperforming. Neymar has been on the end of sharp criticism for a perceived lack of commitment after French media reported that he attended a poker tournament and dined at a fast-food restaurant a day after PSG lost to Bayern Munich 1-0 at the Parc des Princes in the Champions League round of 16.
Neymar, who damaged the same ankle at the World Cup in Qatar, gave PSG a 2-0 lead at the end of a fast-developing collective move he also started, slotting the ball into an empty net from Vitinha’s assist.
It’s unclear whether Neymar will be able to play next Sunday against second-placed Marseille in French football’s biggest match.
“’Ney’ has sprained his ankle. We will see how serious it is. We don’t know yet -- he is undergoing tests at the moment,” said PSG coach Christophe Galtier, who also saw left-back Nuno Mendes come off in the first half with an ankle ligament injury that the coach insisted “doesn’t seem too serious.”
“I hope ‘Ney’ is going to come back quickly because he is an important player for us,” added Mbappe about his Brazilian teammate.
- WTT Star Contender Goa: Nithya Mani among seven Indians to reach main draw
- Australian Open 2024: Zheng aiming for Djokovic ‘chill’ in semi-final
- Sathiyan singles form tumbles as focus shifts to mixed doubles for Olympic bid
- Kalinga Super Cup 2024: Resurgent East Bengal books final ticket with 2-0 victory over Jamshedpur
- India second worst country in WADA’s 10-year global study of positive doping cases by minors