The Indian men's Hockey team will be cheered on at the World Cup by Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan as it bids to lift the trophy on home soil later this year. The actor confirmed that he will be part of the tournament's opening ceremony on November 27 at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.
The presence of Khan, who has always been an ardent fan of the game, is expected to draw in huge support in the city.
He was also instrumental in popularizing the sport in the country a decade back when he played the role of hockey coach, Kabir Khan in the sports movie ' Chak De! India' .
Speaking on the occasion, Khan said, “India is hosting the Hockey World Cup in November at Bhubaneswar, and I am honoured to be a part of hockey at the highest level. We have a young and promising team and they have my unconditional support.’’
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik welcomed his support, saying, “Shahrukh Khan is one of the greatest icons of this generation and a role model for the youth of the country. Mr. Khan extending his support for hockey will not only motivate the team but it will also catalyse the nation to join this movement for hockey, and I thank him for the same.”
The team is currently training in Bhubaneswar ahead of its departure for the Asian Champions Trophy on October 14.
- India vs England Live Score, 4th Test: IND 40/0, needs 152 runs more to win; Rohit, Jaiswal to continue
- Inter Miami vs LA Galaxy LIVE score, MLS updates: Jovelic scores as Los Angeles takes lead; LA 1-0 MIA
- Argentina’s Baez wins Rio Open title as players ask for more top tournaments in South America
- Ranji Trophy Live Score Quarterfinal Day 4 updates: Andhra on track for win vs MP; Mumbai takes lead vs Baroda
- Ligue 1: PSG’s Ramos replaces Mbappe and nets late equaliser against Rennes