Neha Pardeshi will lead India women’s rugby team at the Asian Rugby Sevens Trophy, to be held in Laos (Vietnam), on February 17 and 18.
Former India men’s captain, Nasser Hussain, will accompany the 12-member squad as coach. Six players from Odisha are in the team, three each from New Delhi and Maharashtra.
Seven Asian nations will take part--- South Korea, Philippines, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, India and host Vietnam. The Asian Rugby Sevens 2017 champion will secure a spot in the Asian Rugby Women’s Sevens Series, played over three legs in September-October.
The Indian players were shortlisted during the Federation Cup Rugby Sevens 2016’, held at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, followed by a training-cum-selection camp at Bombay Gymkhana grounds earlier this month. The team is supported by Societe Generale.
Rugby India’s Secretary-General, Mahesh Mathai, said: “Recently, the Indian U-18 girls secured a bronze medal in the 2016 Asian Rugby at Dubai, UAE. We are confident that the team will do their best to bring home accolades yet again.”
The team: Neha Pardeshi (captain), Vahbiz Bharucha, Ruchi Shetty (Maharashtra), Hupi Majhi, Laxmipriya Sahu, Meerarani Hembram, Sanjukta Munda, Bhagyalaxmi Barik, Subalaxmi Barik (all Ocdisha), Priya Bansal, Namita Bhoj, Neha S (Delhi).
Coach: Nasser Hussain. Assistant coach: Rehmuddin Shaikh.
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis LIVE Updates, AFC Champions League 2023-24: Streaming info, preview, prediction, where to watch Ronaldo in action
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC Highlights, AFC Cup: MBSG 2-5 OFC, Juggernauts beat Mariners to stay second
- MotoGP boots RNF team from 2024 grid
- AFC Cup points table LIVE: Odisha FC moves up to second spot with 5-2 win over Mohun Bagan SG
- IPL 2024: Retained by SRH, Sanvir Singh banking on honing all-round skills and visualising match situations to succeed