India's Vikram Malhotra fought his way past the world junior champion Mostafa Asal of Egypt to win the Aspin Cup 2018, a PSA challenger tour event at Charlottetown, Canada on Saturday. He defeated the third seed and higher-ranked player 11-3, 11-9, 9-11, 11-9.
This is the seventh PSA title of the 28-year-old's career and second this year, after winning the Atlanta Open - a M10 event - in February.
As the scores suggest it was a closely fought match. The 17-year-old Egyptian suffered a mild ankle injury in a collision with the Indian took time off for a while before the second game.
Mostafa, who is known for his speed and power on the court was a tough opponent but Vikram's touch and consistency pulled him through.
Vikram's Aspin Cup triumph comes on the back of a semiifinal finish in the Nash Cup, another PSA challenger tour event, a few days ago in Ontario.
- Siddarth Kaul: Winning in white-ball cricket but missing out in red ball doesn’t discredit the players’ skills
- I-League: Sreenidi Deccan takes on Mohammedan Sporting Club in potential title decider
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organisation are not correct
- Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopi Chand - Double(s) delight for Indian badminton
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer