Archana Kamath became the lone Indian to progress to the quarter-finals of the World Table Tennis Star Contender here on Thursday, after she came from a 0-2 game deficit to beat Miyu Nagasaki of Japan 11-13, 6-11, 11-8, 12-10, 11-8.
However, Sreeja Akula's run came to an end as she lost to Bruna Takahashi of Brazil 7-11, 4-11, 10-12 in the pre-quarterfinals.
Earlier, Sreeja Akula and Archana Kamath had created ripples in the women's singles second round of the World Table Tennis Star Contender in Doha on Thursday, with upset wins over much higher-ranked opponents.
ALSO READ | Manika Batra vs TTFI: Delhi High Court seeks Government's stand
While Sreeja, ranked 143rd in the world beat 11-5, 7-11, 11-9, 11-7 win over Suh Hyowon of Korea, ranked 21, Archana, ranked 132, had outclassed Mo Zhang of Canada, ranked 39 at 11-8, 15-13, 11-7.
G. Sathiyan had gone down to Andrej Gacina of Croatia 6-11, 6-11, 7-11 in the men’s second round.
Latest on Sportstar
- NBA Finals 2023 - Game 1 analysis: Nikola Jokic’s Denver Nuggets turn up the ‘Heat’!
- FA Cup trophy returns to Manchester - Which side? To be decided
- Warner is looking good for WTC final and Ashes: Khawaja
- Jakarta ePrix: Maserati’s Gunther grabs maiden pole
- IPL 2023: Five uncapped Indian players who set the season alight