Defending champion Carlos Alcaraz overcame Britain’s Daniel Evans with a 6-2, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 win on Saturday, surviving his first real challenge at the U.S. Open in the third round.
The top-seeded Spaniard breezed through his opening matches at Flushing Meadows and at first appeared on track for another easy victory but had to find his best form after Evans mounted a third-set comeback.
He next plays Italian Matteo Arnaldi, who shocked Britain’s 16th seed Cameron Norrie in straight sets on Court 17.
“He’s a tricky opponent,” Alcaraz said of Evans. “We made great points, great shots. A lot of different kinds of situations.”
Alcaraz moved through the first set like a freight train, winning the first four games, and the 26th-seeded Evans failed to convert any of his three break points in the eighth game.
Evans did let out a roar as he broke Alcaraz with an unreturnable backhand down the line in the second game of the second set but the Spaniard broke back immediately and the Briton helped his opponent to another break in the fifth.
Alcaraz broke Evans again with a well-executed drop shot to close out the second set. However, Evans upped his level in the third set, channeling his frustration into a superb game seven where he broke with a backhand winner.
The 20-year-old Alcaraz tapped into his superior speed and agility to tame Evans, 13 years his senior, in the fourth set, zipping back and forth along the baseline before breaking with a sublime forehand winner in the sixth game.
He finished the entertaining clash with another forehand winner, one of 27 in the match, prompting cheers of approval from the rapt crowd inside Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Across the plaza, 21-year-old Jack Draper offered British fans hope as he outlasted American wildcard Michael Mmoh 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 to book his first trip to a Grand Slam fourth round.
He will face the winner of the clash between Russian eighth seed Andrey Rublev and France’s Arthur Rinderknech.
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- UP Warriorz vs Delhi Capitals Live Score, WPL 2024: Lanning-Shafali cruise through, UPW desperate for breakthrough
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023-24 Playoffs, PKL 10 LIVE Score: GG 16-21 HS, Haryana Steelers leads Gujarat Giants in Eliminator 2; Patna Pirates enters semifinal with 37-35 win on Dabang Delhi
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC Highlights, EBFC 1-0 CFC, ISL 2023-24: Nandha scores solitary goal, wins three points
- Delhi Open 2024: Mukund loses to Wong in first round, Vishwakarma qualifies for main draw