Wawrinka, Raonic delay injury returns

The Mubadala World Tennis Championship will no longer play host to Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic's respective returns from injury.

Three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka will risk it at the Australian Open, even he isn't 100% fit.   -  Getty Images

Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic have each withdrawn from the year-ending Mubadala World Tennis Championship (MWTC) through injury, heightening doubts over their readiness for next month's Australian Open.

Wawrinka missed the US Open due to a knee injury, while Raonic sat out the final grand slam of 2017 due to a wrist problem before being sidelined again with a damaged calf.

On Wednesday, the MWTC's official website revealed both players would not be present in Abu Dhabi next week.

Three-time slam-winner Wawrinka said: "Unfortunately I won't be able to play in Abu Dhabi this year as I'm not ready yet to compete at this level.

Read: Djokovic welcomes new format for Australian Open warm-up

"Together with my team, I'm working hard and we will do everything to be ready in time for the Australian Open.

"I'm sad that I won't be able to play in front of the great fans at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship but I need to be patient and give my body the time it needs."

Earlier this month, Wawrinka had said: "The goal is to play the Australian Open, even if I'm not 100 per cent."

Support Sportstar


Dear Reader,

Support our journalism — where text and pictures intermingle so seamlessly — and help us scale up your experience as the world changes around us. Your contribution is vital to our brand of uninfluenced, boots-on-the-ground reportage that’s worth your while. Clickbait sensationalism is not for us, but editorial independence is — we owe it to you.

  Dugout videos