China stood at the top of the points table after the fourth round of the Online Nations Cup.
China escaped with a 2-2 draw against Russia in the third round, thanks to Ding Liren’s superb win over Ian Nepomniachtchi after the talented Vladislav Artmiev had given his team the advantage, by beating Wei Yi. The two other games - Yu Yangyi and Sergey Karjakin and Aleksandra Goryachkina versus Ju Wenjun - ended in a stalemate.
In the next round, China defeated India 2.5-1.5.
Meanwhile, Europe rode on wins by Aronian and Nana Dzagnidze to thrash USA 3-1. Europe and USA have the same number of points after four rounds - five.
China is ahead of the field with seven match points and 10.5 board points.
The event follows the double round-robin format, with the two leading teams battling for the title in the Super-final.
All matches involve four boards -- represented by three men and a women player. The rapid time-control is 25-minutes plus 10-second increment per move.
- Pakistan’s match against PM XI side ends early after electrical storm and rain
- Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE score, pre-quarterfinals updates: Rohan, Krishna provide solid start to KER vs MAH; GUJ 79/2 vs BEN
- PKL Season 10: Sagar Rathee settling into Tamil Thalaivas leadership role with fitness as top priority
- Aston Villa looking to make a statement at Arsenal
- ISL: Bengaluru FC part ways with coach Simon Grayson