The Indian challenge ended in the third Grand Prix leg of the FIDE Chess.com Women's Speed Chess on Thursday, as both Koneru Humpy and Dronavalli Harika lost their quarterfinal matches.
World number two Humpy was outplayed by Russia's Alexandra Kosteniuk 2-9. Harika too had an eminently forgettable match, as she was outwitted 3-7 by World No. 1 Hou Yifan of China.
Humpy and Harika, however, have another opportunity to redeem themselves. They will be playing in the fourth leg starting on July 15. The third Indian in the fray, R. Vaishali, won't be in that leg though, having completed her engagement with seven points.
From the third leg, Iran's Sarasadat Khademalsharieh and Kateryna Lagno of Russia joined Yifan and Kosteniuk in the semifinals.
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final 2023: Josh Hazlewood ruled out, Michael Neser named replacement in Australia squad
- WTC Final 2023, India vs Australia: All You Need To Know, Playing Conditions, squad, live streaming info
- FA Cup Final: Man City beats Manchester United to move closer to historic treble
- Karim Benzema’s top moments at Real Madrid: Ballon d’Or win, 2011 El Clasico goal, hat-trick vs PSG and more
- From Benzema to Hazard: Six players leaving Real Madrid at the end of 2022-23 season