Sri Lanka on Friday suffered a major setback as four of its cricketers, including pacer Dushamantha Chameera and leg-spinner Wanindu Hasaranga, were rendered doubtful for the upcoming Asia Cup because of injuries and Covid-19.
Chameera could be ruled out of the Asia Cup because of a shoulder injury that he suffered during the recent Lanka Premier League (LPL).
Leading spinner Wanindu Hasaranga, who picked up a thigh niggle ahead of the LPL final, could miss at least two matches of his team in the Asia Cup, ESPNCricinfo reported.
Sri Lanka will begin its Asia Cup campaign against Bangladesh on August 31 at Pallekele.
Adding to the Lankan woes, batters Kusal Perera and Avishka Fernando have been tested positive for COVID-19.
Both Perera and Fernando are currently under observation and their inclusion in the Lankan squad will depend on the speed of the recovery.
The Sri Lankan team management said the duo contacted COVID-19 during the latter stages of the LPL 2023.
They will have to return a negative test result to get included in the squad for the Asia Cup.
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Round 7 Day 3 updates: TN enforces follow on vs Punjab; Bengal, HP, Saurashtra register innings wins
- IND vs ENG Live Score Updates, 3rd Test Day 4: England 32/4 vs India; Pope, Bairstow fall after Tea
- Indian women clinch historic gold in Badminton Asia Team Championships
- Badminton Asia Team Championships final, India vs Thailand highlights, IND 3-2 THA: Anmol, PV Sindhu, Treesa-Jolly shine as Indian women win historic gold
- Ligue 1: Mbappe scores as sub to help PSG see off Nantes