Sanju Samson was on Thursday appointed as the Kerala captain for the upcoming Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy T20 tournament, scheduled to be held from October 16 to November 6 across various venues.
Kerala will open its Group B campaign in the tournament with a match against Himachal Pradesh in Mumbai.
In the group, Kerala and HP will compete along with Sikkim, Assam, Bihar, Chandigarh, Odisha, Services and Chandigarh.
Samson will be eager to underline his prowess with some strident outings in the Mushtaq Ali Trophy that will keep him in the range of national selectors.
Kerala will have added strength this time in the form of all-rounder Shreyas Gopal, who moved in from Karnataka last month.
The leg-spinner could be leading Kerala’s spin attack in the company of veteran spinner Jalaj Saxena, who was the highest wicket-taker in the last Ranji Trophy season with 50 scalps.
Promising Rohan Kunnummal is the vice-captain of the side, while former Tamil Nadu cricketer M Venkataramana is the head coach of Kerala this season.
- WPL 2024: All-round show helps Delhi Capitals thrash UP Warriorz by nine wickets for season’s first win
- Hard work, determination and a bit of kismet: For RCB’s Asha Sobhana, WPL is just the start
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- NBA: Clippers unveil new uniforms, logo for next season
- Bayern Munich signs Max Eberl as sporting director