Gujarat Titans’ batter Kane Williamson has been ruled out of the remainder of this edition of the Indian Premier League, the side confirmed on Sunday.
The decision to withdraw from the lucrative league comes after the New Zealand right-hander hurt his knee while saving a boundary during the campaign opener against Chennai Super Kings at the Narendra Modi stadium in Ahmedabad on Friday.
“It is sad to lose Kane to injury so early in the tournament. We wish him a speedy recovery, with the hope of seeing him in action very soon,” said Vikram Solanki, Gujarat’s director of cricket, in a statement released by the club.
Williamson will now head home to New Zealand for further assessment. The Titans will finalise a replacement and an announcement will be made in due course.
Williamson, who was the Sunrisers Hyderabad captain, was one of 12 players released by the franchise following its eighth-place finish in IPL 2022. Gujarat Titans then signed him for Rs 2 crore.
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Manav, Manush qualify for doubles R-32; Sathiyan, Manika Mixed Doubles R-32 at 3:50 PM
- ICC ODI World Cup 2023 squads: Full players list of all 10 teams
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Smith, Marsh score fifties, complete century partnership
- Nepal becomes first team to score 300 in men’s T20I; Dipendra Singh breaks Yuvraj Singh’s record for fastest 50
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE, September 27 Updates: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; Esha bags silver in 25m pistol; Sumit bows out in tennis QF; India 5th with 22 medals